Scoot Commute

It was 0° Fahrenheit when I left the house this morning

Posted in Buddy St. Tropez (Franz Biberkopf), Daily Commute by sbahn on 2011/01/24

I caught the weather report last night. The overnight temps were reported to be below zero with windchills into the -20°Fs. I was still planning on riding to work this morning.

The radio alarm comes on and barks that it is currently -1°F. I take a shower, get dressed and head downstairs. My outside thermometer reads zero degrees. Bring it.

I wore an extra pair of socks and one extra jacket. I also got to try my brand new Schampa Pharaoh balaclava. After I got into the garage, I tried to start the scoot to allow it to warm up while I stowed my crap and got my helmet on. Press, press, rrrrrrnnhhhhh pssst. I would start for half a second, then conk out. I tried this over and over at least 10 times. It would stay going for a little bit longer each time, but I actually considered walking back to the house, getting out of my gear, and taking my car. But the boyfriend had planned on taking my car and he hadn’t warmed his up (it needs a lot of warming up…it’s the same age as me). I didn’t want him to be late, but I also didn’t want to deal with a scoot that wouldn’t start at the end of the day.

He drove by the garage and waited at the end of the driveway. What should I do? I’m all dressed and it would be a hassle to go back to the house, get undressed, take the car from him, etc. But I absolutely had to get to work as I was taking over teaching someone’s class this morning. Brrraaaaaaaapppppp. Finally. It started and stayed running even after letting go of the throttle.

I waved him on. I pulled on my helmet, slipped on one glove, locked up the garage, and pulled on the other glove. I maneuvered the scoot down the ice-covered driveway and into the ice-covered street. I got to the end of the street and pulled my left onto the main street.

The scoot died twice on the ride in but it started up with a quick press of the starter button. I kept on the throttle at lights and pulled a lot of “Rhode Island stops” at stop signs.

I was concerned about the cold but I couldn’t believe how comfortable I was. When I arrived on campus, the only parts of me that were cold were a couple of toes on my left foot and the fingers on my right hand.

I was asked by a couple of people if I rode today and my response was, “Yeah, I just wanted to see if I could do it.” All in all, it really wasn’t that bad.

Leaving tonight, I gave the scoot three kicks and it roared to life. All my worrying throughout the day about it not starting was moot. It was a balmy 13°F when I arrived home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: